The name of this blog really should have been "mom is definitely on drugs" but I'm hoping to leave an air of mystery. This description pretty much ruined that. Oh well. It's understandable that I screwed this up. I am, after all, on drugs.

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes....

It's been a summer of change.

My health had been poor, but I'm on the mend after having my gallbladder removed and starting with some healthier habits. (Thanks to my dear friend Jess introducing me to Fit Girls Guide. It's an amazing program and the Instagram community is so positive and full of love.)

I'm still working on getting in to an exercise routine that works for me, baby steps.

I've switched one of my meds and started on over the counter sleep aids. It all seems to be working out well and I feel more balanced than I have at any other time in my life.

My house is a disaster and it's on my list of things to take care of now that life is settling in for the fall and winter. We'll be spending a lot of time in here soon and I want it to feel cozy, not suffocating.

The biggest change that has occurred is Cass coming out as Transgender. It was a surprise (but not a shock) when he (now she) came out. We love Cass for who she is no matter what and I'm so proud of her for being strong enough to tell us how she is feeling.

I've spent weeks finding an appropriate pediatrician, getting a referral to an adolescent endocrinologist, and finding a Trans affirmative therapist. It's been overwhelming. I've had no real idea what I was doing, but with the positive support from family and friends and the advice of my psychiatrist and the amazing social workers at the Utah Pride Center I feel like I've gathered a great set of resources for Cass.

She's also started attending a support group for gender nonconforming teens at the Pride Center which has been really good for her.

This journey will be a new and interesting one for sure.

It's times like these that I'm so grateful that I took steps to take care of my mental health. I don't know that I would have been able to adjust and react to these changes in such a calm and controlled way before. I would have been totally overwhelmed to the point of coming to a standstill.

Living life the way we do (unschooling, peaceful parenting, compassionate living) has been one of the greatest choices I've ever made. It leaves space for change and growth both for the adults and children in our family. I can't imagine coping with how our lives are going if we lived more traditionally.

To everyone out there dealing with the Big things that come in life:

Remember to give yourself the space and kindness you need to adjust. Give those same things to the people around you. We're all in this together.


No comments:

Post a Comment